Help for veterans with PTSD

I read an article in today’s newspaper about the lack of help in the Veterans Administration System for veterans coming home with PTSD. It seems that the VA can’t find enough psychiatrists willing to live in rural areas or areas with a high cost of living. Considering the salaries that I am sure The VA pays medical doctors, I can’t imagine why they couldn’t afford to live anywhere. But my question really is why are psychiatrists the only mental health providers being considered? I personally have a counseling degree and a certification from the National Board of Certified Counselors yet the VA doesn’t consider me qualified to provide this important service. How many other counselors are out there who would be quite able to help if only the VA would broaden its requirements.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.